Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Recipe of the week...

Italian Sausage and Tortellini Soup

Keeping in theme today, I thought I would share one of my favorite soup recipes.  It was given to me by my mom last Fall, and I haven't been the same since.  Ok, that might be a little overly dramatic...but that is kind of my style.  As with most of my recipes you can adjust this to your liking ie: take out the zucchini and add some celery.  I hope you all LOVE this soup as much as I do.


Ingredients:


1 lb ground Italian sausage
1 cup chopped onions
2 garlic cloves
5 cups beef broth
1/2 cup water
1/2 red wine (a wine you might drink ie: pinot noir, merlot)
2 cups chopped tomato (may use canned)
1 cup chopped baby carrots
1/2 ts basil leaves
1/2 ts oregano leaves
8 oz. tomato sauce
1 1/2 cups sliced zucchini
8 oz. cheese tortellini (one bag)
3 tbs chopped parsley
1 medium chopped green pepper
grated Parmesan cheese (optional for garnish)

Brown your sausage in a large pot. Drain grease from pot leaving about 1 tbs. in to saute onions and garlic on low heat, until onions are clear and tender. Add beef broth, water, wine, tomatoes, carrots, basil, oregano, tomato sauce, and sausage. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer un-covered for 30 minutes. Stir in zucchini, tortellini, parsley, and green pepper. Simmer covered for an additional 35-40 minutes, or until tortellini is soft. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese on each serving.







Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment